Situated in the heart of the Patagonia, 400 km (250 miles) from the Chilean city of Punta Arenas, Torres del Paine National Park boasts an area of more than 240,000 hectares (576,000 acres). It takes shape around the impressive Paine mountain chain and because of its proximity to the sea the park enjoys a temperate climate and plenty of sunny days year round. It is considered one of the most beautiful national parks in the world due to the strange yet unique mountain formations, glaciers, lakes, waterfalls, and flora and fauna. The Torres del Paine (Towers of Paine) is a distinguishable feature within the park; an odd and monumental mountain formation that stands 3,000 m (9,840 feet) high. Another is the Cuernos del Paine (Horns of Paine) that reach an altitude of over 2,000 m (6,560 feet). And appearing in the middle of this indomitable and marvelous wilderness is the Explora Hotel Salto Chico.
Torres del Paine National Park, Cuernos del Paine, Puerto Natales, Glaciar Grey, Lago Nordenskjold
Explora Patagonia Description
Our lodge is located right at the heart of the extraordinary Torres del Paine National Park in central Patagonia. The varied and untouched landscapes of this area led UNESCO to declare it a biosphere reserve.
Our Patagonia hotel lodge opened in 1993 on the banks of the Salto Chico waterfall. It affords an excellent view of the unique Paine Massif and two of the three impressive torres, or towers, which give the park its name.
Situated on a 3-hectare (7.4-acre) site, the design borrows certain organic forms from the landscape itself, adapting to it with simple elegance. It was designed to create a dialogue with its environment, putting human beings in touch with the sublimity of their surroundings.
For travelers, the lodge provides the welcome surprise of comfort in a remote area; nonetheless, you are not isolated from nature, but placed ‚Äúwithin‚ÄĚ it.
Our lodge has 50 comfortable rooms, all with captivating views, silence and privacy. The sophisticated design incorporates native lenga wood (nothofagus pumilio) and cypress brought from the Guaitecas Archipelago, while the floor is made of almond wood. Each room has a small living area, hydromassage bath and beds designed for deep, pleasurable sleep after a day of exploration. Finally, we provide you with a unique treat: the rooms are television-free.
Casa de Ba√Īos del Ona (Ona Bath House)
Located 100 meters (109 yards) from the lodge and reached by a sloping wooden walkway, this bath house has a heated indoor swimming pool, a sauna and four open-air jacuzzis, all with views of Lago Peho√© and Macizo del Paine. Here you can also enjoy different types of massage with essential oils, such as therapeutic, relaxing or energizing massage.
Estancia 2 de Enero (January 2 Ranch)
Patagonia is more than just pristine landscapes; it is home to the unique and legendary gaucho culture. You can drink ‚Äúmate‚ÄĚ tea with gauchos and watch them shear sheep, drive livestock, break in horses and carry out other typical ranching tasks on this 6,000-hectare (14,826-acre) estancia, which belongs to explora and is located 53 kilometers (33 miles) from the lodge.
Quincho (barbecue area)
Located at the entrance to the ‚Äú2 de Enero‚ÄĚ estancia, the quincho is the start point for some of our horseback rides. Here you can also enjoy some typical Patagonian cuisine: the preparation of barbecued lamb. Whilst the meat slowly cooks, you can share ‚Äúmate‚ÄĚ tea with the gauchos and listen to interesting stories about the area. It's worth the wait and a great Patagonia travel package.
Hotel Salto Chico is the only lodge in the area with its own horses, which have been bred and trained especially for our travelers to ride.
- Use of the sauna and open-air jacuzzis
- Use of the heated indoor swimming pool
- Use of computers with internet connections and access to wi-fi internet in the living room and bar
- Open bar with spirits and an extensive wine list
Explora Patagonia Programs
The hotel maintains a philosophy that fosters a new way to travel, gaining more understanding of the world and of ourselves. It is about the unforgettable experience of exploring the natural and cultural environment of the most remote corners of South America.
The itinerary is based on the requests of those that contract the excursions. For this reason, Explora Patagonia has designed 2 types of programs:
- 4 nights 5 days.
- 8 nights 9 days.
There are programs for 4 and 8 nights throughout the year in Explora Patagonia. With the purpose of being able to count on time and plenty of available space, we recommend the program of 8 nights. The starting dates of these programs are variable; therefore, we request that you ask about them at the time of reservation.
Explora believes that the best way to discover something new about nature, the world, and of ourselves is to simply enjoy the beauty first hand. Count on the experience necessary to organize explorations with a spirit of adventure as well as safety. Explora hotels also possess a certain sophistication that allows you to delight in life‚Äôs pleasures. We invite you to become an Explorer among the kind of nature that moves you. Some of the included excursions are:
Duration: 3 hours (half-day). Walking: 2.5 hours. Distance on foot: 6 km.
Itinerary: Leave explora by van (10 min) toward the Pudeto Refugio. Walk to the shore of Lake Peho√©, first passing the Salto Grande waterfall, then toward the Paine Massif until reaching the vista point of Lake Nordenskj√∂ld. Spectacular view of the French Valley, the Paine Grande Massif and the Horns.
Note: Frequent strong winds.
Duration: 10 to 11 hours (full day). Walking 4 to 6 hours. Distance: 12 km.
Itinerary: Leave explora by boat (30 min). Walk from the Peho√© Refugio to the Grey Refugio, with views of the Grey Glacier, icebergs in Lake Grey, the Southern Ice Field, the Paine Massif, and the Olguin Mountains. Picnic lunch close to the glacier. Return by boat across Lake Grey (2 hours), with an close look at the glacier wall. Return by van from the Grey Ranger Station to explora (40 min).
Note: The boat crossing is dependent on climactic conditions.
Duration: 3 to 3.5 hours (half-day). Walking 3 to 3.5 hours. Distance on foot: 6.5 km.
Itinerary: Leave explora on foot. Ascend 250 meters to the cornice of the ridge behind explora, offering views of the Paine Massif, the Condor vista point, and lakes Peho√© and Nordenskj√∂ld. The road continues along the cornice, with passing tiny lakes and forest, with views of the Paine River, Prat Mountain, Serrano Prairie and Lake Toro in the distance. Descend the La Feria Ravine.
Note: Frequent strong winds.
Duration: 6 hours (full day). Five hours riding.
Itinerary: Leave explora by van (15 min) to the stable. Narrow trails through forest, along lakes and across prairie land. View of Donoso Mountain, in one of the least-explored, virgin areas of the park. Picnic lunch next to Los Choros Lake. Prairie, streams, mountains and exuberant flora are a few of the highlights of this horseback ride. Return by van (15 min).
To be comfortable and safe exploring the area the hotel recommended the following equipment:
- A base layer of clothing: thick socks, warm underwear and a thermal t-shirt
- A second layer of clothing: trekking pants and a thin fleece shirt
- A third layer of clothing: a windproof fleece
- A fourth layer of clothing: waterproof overpants and jacket
- Comfortable trekking shoes
- Sunglasses with UV filter with a strap and side protection
- Sun hat to protect your face and ears against the sun and wind
- Explora provide walking sticks and leg guards at no additional charge. If you need to buy something, the majority of the recommended equipment is available in the lodge shop.
Rates are per passenger and expressed in American Dollars
|4 NIGHTS PROGRAM
||¬†Jan/01/2013 - Mar/31/2013
||Apr/1/2013 - Mar/31/2014
The Program Includes
- Transfer between Punta Arenas Airport and explora en patagonia (departure from Punta Arenas between 1 PM and 5 PM, based on flight arrivals from Santiago.
- Departure from the hotel between 7 AM and 8 AM). Transfer schedules subject to change without prior notice.
- Full board. 3 meals per day. Bar
- Daily explorations in the area of Parque Nacional
- Torres del Paine, with bilingual guides, equipment, boats, horses, vehicles and food (groups no larger than 10 per guide).
- Consult for other excursions and more days of accommodation.
- Consult value for extra bed (in according room type) for children up to 12 years.
- Consult by special rate (in according room type) for persons from 13 to 18 years.
- Rooms have an adequate climatization system that make air conditioning unnecessary. No television set or cable in room.
- Fees are per person per program, in U.S. dollars (US$).
- Fees may be subject to change without previous notification. These DO NOT apply to events, conferences and fairs.
- Please, read our .
Explora Patagonia Pictures