Fascinating and moving are the stories that you can find in San Pedro de Atacama if you like everything that is related to archeology. The landscapes of the most arid desert of the world gave life to one of the most important cultures of Chile: the atacameños
In the center of San Pedro de Atacama, exist the archaeological museum Padre Gustavo Le Page. He was a priest who not only evangelized during the 1950s, but also dedicated his life to collecting articles found in the middle of the desert. Years later, different organizations and institutions decided to create a museum to protect, care for and give life to pre-Columbian cultures.
Archaeological sites that you cannot miss in San Pedro de Atacama:
1. Pukará de Quitor: It is an Atacama fortress and can be visited on a tour or bike from San Pedro de Atacama, as it is 3 kilometers away. The Pukará de Quitor is located at the top of a mountain of the Sal mountain range. You can walk its streets and see how they lived, the rooms, squares and animal pens. In addition you can witness a panoramic view of the entire valley.
2. Tulor Village: It is more than 2 thousand years old and was discovered by the Jesuit Gustavo Le Page. It is located 9 kilometers from San Pedro de Atacama, in a place where the river passed with water, which allowed the development of agriculture and pottery. It is important to note that the Pukará de Lasana is located in the 100 most threatened sites in the world, mainly due to natural wind and sand that has covered most of the buildings. You cannot miss these archaeological remains if you travel to San Pedro de Atacama. You can visit it on a Pukará tour of Quitor and Tulor Village as a whole.
3. Pukará de Lasana: In the middle of the Atacama desert, 140 km from San Pedro de Atacama, in the Alto el Loa sector, is this National Monument, a fortress that was built in the 12th century. This town that consists of 110 constructions, was part of the atacameña culture or likan antai. Do not miss the experience of doing this tour High Anda Peoples: Caspana, Chiu Chiu and Lasana
Live the experience
In five days you can enjoy San Pedro de Atacama and its surroundings. You will visit Moon Valley, altiplanic (Miscanti and Miñiques)…
- FromCLP $284.925per person
- FromUS$410per person
Come and visit the archaeological remains in Pukará de Quitor and Aldea de Tulor in San Pedro de Atacama. These are pre-Inca constructions…
- FromCLP $39.200per person
- FromUS$56per person