If you ever thought about walking on a huge glacier in the most austral part of the world, GoChile invites you to experience this experience in Patagonia. On this excursion you will get to know the Exploradores Glacier and you will make a trek that will start in an evergreen forest and end in the deepest white.
- Departure: 07:30
- Duration: 10 hours
- Pickup / Dropoff: Hotel in Puerto Tranquilo
What you will visit:
- 1 Carretera Austral Sur
- 2 Exploradores glacier
At the agreed time we will leave from Puerto Río Tranquilo to the refuge of Valle Exploradores, where we can prepare our technical equipment and listen to a brief induction talk that our specialist guides will give us.
The hike will start inside an evergreen forest, to recognize various native species and observe some birds. Little by little we ascend through the frontal moraine of the glacier until we reach a terrace with views of the Exploradores Glacier, Mount San Valentín (the highest in Patagonia) and Bayo Lake. After resting for a few minutes we descend the moraine until we reach the ice covered with stones and sand, until reaching the clean ice in approximately two hours.
Then we take a break to enjoy a snack and we will put on the equipment, to begin to safely walk the white ice, where you can see, feel and hear the living ice, look inside the caves, and enjoy and marvel at the deep blue of its pure waters, understanding how the Glacier goes down from the ice field and transforms into a river until it reaches the sea.
At the end of the excursion we will return to Puerto Tranquilo.
- PhysicalVery high
- CulturalVery low
- NatureVery high
- Transfer to and from your hotel in Puerto Río Tranquilo
- Entrance to San Rafael Lagoon National Park
- Crampons and leggings
- Snack (nuts, cookies, juice and fruit)
- Box lunch (1 sandwich, mineral water, cereal bar, chocolate bar and fruit)
- Specialized guide
- Everything that was not mentioned in the Itinerary.
- Trekking boots, high cane, semi-rigid sole (very important).
- Layers of clothing (1st coat / fleece, windbreaker / water, long pants and trouser covers in case of rain)
- Gloves, sun and warm hat, sunglasses, sunscreen.
- A snack and energy snacks for the day.
- A wide-mouth water bottle, to fill with water from the glacier.
- A change of clothes for rainy days is suggested.
- Small backpack to move your belongings.