On this excursion, we'll walk through an evergreen forest to finish in the white blueish of Exploradores Glaciar in the most austral corner of the world.
- Departure: 07:30
- Duration: 10 hours
- Pickup / Dropoff: Hotel in Puerto Tranquilo
What you will visit:
- 1 Carretera Austral Sur
- 2 Exploradores glacier
At the agreed time we will leave from Puerto Río Tranquilo to the refuge of Valle Exploradores, where we'll prepare our technical equipment and listen to a brief induction given by our specialized guides.
The hike will start inside an evergreen forest, where we'll recognize various native species and observe some birds. Little by little we ascend through the frontal moraine of the glacier until we reach a terrace with views of the Exploradores Glacier, Mount San Valentín (the highest in Patagonia) and Bayo Lake. After resting for a few minutes we'll descend the moraine until we get to the ice-covered with stones and sand. Then we'll keep walking until we reach the clean ice in approximately two hours.
Then we'll take a break to enjoy a snack and put on the equipment. Afterwards we'll begin to safely walk the white ice, where we'll be able to see, feel and hear the living ice; look inside the caves; and enjoy the deep blue of it's waters, understanding with this, how the Glacier goes down from the ice field and transforms into a river until it reaches the sea.
At the end of the excursion we will return to Puerto Tranquilo.
- PhysicalVery high
- CulturalVery low
- NatureVery high
- Transfer to and from your hotel in Puerto Río Tranquilo
- Entrance to San Rafael Lagoon National Park
- Crampons and leggings
- Snack (nuts, cookies, juice and fruit)
- Box lunch (1 sandwich, mineral water, cereal bar, chocolate bar and fruit)
- Specialized guide
- Everything that was not mentioned in the Itinerary.
- Trekking boots, high cane, semi-rigid sole (very important).
- Layers of clothing (1st coat / fleece, windbreaker / water, long pants and trouser covers in case of rain)
- Gloves, sun and warm hat, sunglasses, sunscreen.
- A snack and energy snacks for the day.
- A wide-mouth water bottle, to fill with water from the glacier.
- A change of clothes for rainy days is suggested.
- Small backpack to move your belongings.
Note: Available from October to February