Every year, in November, hundreds of penguins arrive to nest in the northern part of the island of Chiloé, and this full day tour will take you to know them.
- Departure: 08:00
- Duration: 10 hours
- Pickup / Dropoff: Hotel in Puerto Varas or Puerto Montt
What you will visit:
- 1 Puñihuil
- 2 Puerto Montt
- 3 Puerto Varas
- 4 Ancud
- 5 Chiloé Island
Embark on an unforgettable adventure on Chiloé Island with our excursion to Ancud, Caulin, and the Puñihuil Penguin Colonies. Discover the natural and marine richness, admire the beauty of penguins in their habitat, and enjoy the serenity of Caulin. Book now and experience a unique journey in Chiloé!
8:00 AM: Departure from the hotel.
8:10 AM: We will start our excursion by heading to the village of Pargua, where we will board a ferry to navigate through the Chacao Channel, which separates the mainland from Chiloé Island. During the 45-minute navigation, we will have the opportunity to observe sea lions, pelicans, and typical marine birdlife of the region.
9:45 AM: We will dock in the village of Chacao, where we can admire typical wooden constructions made of Alerce wood and visit the San Antonio de Chacao church. Afterward, we will continue towards the Caulin area, where there is an intertidal wetland that allows the feeding of different types of birds throughout the year, such as Black-Necked Swans, Herons, and Flamingos (the latter during the winter months).
12:30 PM: We will arrive at Puñihuil Beach, where we will board a boat that will take us to the islets where Magellanic and Humboldt Penguins are found (40 minutes of navigation, ticket not included). It is worth noting that this area was declared a National Monument due to its ecological importance.
2:00 PM: We will arrive in the city of Ancud, where we can visit the Local Museum, the Municipal Market, and the Fort of San Antonio; a historical site located on the upper part of the city, built in the late 18th century and part of one of the last Spanish fortifications in our country.
7:00 PM: Arrival at the hotel.
• The order of the places to visit may be modified depending on the daily operation.
• Excursion times are approximate and may be subject to changes.
• The operation of navigation in Puñihuil is subject to the Maritime Governorate, which authorizes or denies departures based on weather conditions.
• Excursions may undergo changes beyond the company's operation.
- PhysicalVery low
- NatureVery high
- Transfer to and from your hotel in Puerto Montt or Puerto Varas
- Bilingual guide
- Navigation through the penguins
- Tickets to churches museums
Bring sunscreen, sneakers, sun hat, camera.